Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.
Close Protection Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher?

3 posters

Go down

Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher? Empty Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher?

Post by Rikard 18/2/2014, 04:49

Dear all

Does anyone know if doing the MIRA course is recognised as FPOS-I refresher?

I did my FPOS-I in September 2011 so it will expire Sept this year, I don't really mind doing a refresher but have hard to find the time. I did my MIRA a year ago (feb 2013) and just started to hope it could be recognised as refresher since it's basicly a more in depth FPOS and wonder if anyone know if it is recognised and can be counted as FPOS-I refresher?

I know and agree that it is always good to take the opportunitie to refresh skills but after doing a EMT-B/TCCC course in Dec I feel as refreshed medic skill vise as I could be and for the moment it looks like I will have to look hard to find the time to go for a FPOS-I refresher.

Reason why it is important for me to keep my FPOS-I in date is that it is a requirement from my employer based on clients demand, and I will also have to renew my SIA licens (I'm not working in the UK or for UK company but better to have than not to have)

Cheers

Rikard

Last edited by Rikard on 18/2/2014, 04:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : funny mistake)

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher? Empty Re: Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher?

Post by Woedendstier 18/2/2014, 09:00

Definitely. It will keep your FPOS in date, it is an excellent course, you will meet interesting people at Pengethley. Enjoy the fun !
Woedendstier
Woedendstier
CPD Moderator
CPD Moderator

Back to top Go down

Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher? Empty Re: Is MIRA recognised as FPOS refresher?

Post by Rikard 19/2/2014, 01:04

Many thanks for the answer Woedendstier.

Cheers

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted-Pencry 2/3/2014, 23:18

Always wondered why some employers want FPOS-I and some prefer operators to have the MIRA.

I did the FPOS-I, also done 2 TCCC courses.
I am wondering whether to do the MIRA or EMT-B with PPA.

I think I will do the EMT-B as its better than the MIRA and more in depth!
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry
CPD Founder & Administrator

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ted-pancri/5a/170/7a4

Back to top Go down

Post by Woedendstier 3/3/2014, 16:31

You are technically right.

Let's say the boss of company X is a very good friend of the boss of training provider Y... you get the picture. It is a business, not a charity...
Woedendstier
Woedendstier
CPD Moderator
CPD Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 28/3/2014, 12:27

Ted-Pencry wrote:
I am wondering whether to do the MIRA or EMT-B with PPA.

I think I will do the EMT-B as its better than the MIRA and more in depth!
I would like to recomend you to do the MIRA over EMT-B 
I have done both MIRA with Exmed and EMT-B with PPA and it's true that EMT is more in depth but I personaly believe that it is better to learn the basics properly first on the MIRA. The EMT treat such a large area over a short period of time so atleast myself was more confused than anything after the course and I think that the only reason I passed the EMT-B exam was because I had first learned the basics properly on the MIRA course.

The reason I have done both courses is that I did the MIRA about a year ago when my military service was comming to an end and I wanted to make myself more employable on the civilian security market. I am happy I did the MIRA course because it is a good one and it actually got me interested in the medical side of things. I did the EMT-B with PPA because my employer had booked in a collegue on the course who unfortunately for him had to cancel at last moment, since the company already payed for the course they asked if anyone else was interested and off course I was.

A good friend of mine did SOS Wildernes Emergency Medical Technician (WEMT) course in Guatemala and he speaks very highly of it.

A thing that can be worth keeping in mind when choosing EMT course (if you above the knowledge gained want a qualification) is that there are EMT courses acknowledged by different organisms. 
I'm not sure about this but I think SOS WEMT is acknowledged by a different organism than the course PPA provides and the two organisms do not have the same status and are not equally recognised.

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted-Pencry 28/3/2014, 13:16

Hi Rikard,

I was told on my FPOS-I course there isn't any need to do a MIRA after it as they both sit on the same level.

Just that some companies want FPOS-I, and some ask for MIRA.
It gets expensive doind so many Medic courses.

Did my FAAW on my CP course, done another first aid course in Eastern Europe, done 2 TCCC courses and an FPOS-I.

I think the most important thing is finding the right balance between a good course where you learn a lot and a course that makes you employable.

For example there are some great courses out there, but many of them mean nothing, they are not recognised abroad, so as operators we need to be highly intelligent when it comes to choosing a course, we want the quality of tuition but also to earn a recognised cert that makes us employable all around the globe.

I see jobs for EMT's all across the globe and that is very important.
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 28/3/2014, 14:24

Hi Ted.

It do get expensive doing all these courses (not only medical) and as you say we do have to be intelligent when choosing a course, this is something the guys who sett the spec for the jobs is not making easy for us.

A good example how things get complicated: My employer require I hold a in date FPOS certificat, they have send me to do a EMT-B course so obviously they know I'm EMT-B but still require FPOS from me.
This is due to one client/contract require everyone have FPOS-I end of story. Another recognise FPOS and MIRA but want atleast one EMT on the team.

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted-Pencry 28/3/2014, 14:31

Thanks Rikard, yes its all getting complicated :-)
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down