Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.
Close Protection Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe

Go down

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe Empty PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe

Post by Sabre 1/4/2014, 17:51

David Cameron orders a review amid fears the Egyptian group is organising its international strategy from a flat in London.

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe Muslim-brotherhood-poster-1-522x293

Graffiti in Cairo depicts the Muslim Brotherhood

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe Cameron-1-402x293

David Cameron says it is right to investigate the Muslim Brotherhood in the UK "to challenge the extremist narrative that some Islamist organisations have put out."

David Cameron has asked MI5 and MI6 to investigate the Muslim Brotherhood amid fears the group is co-ordinating extremist activities from the UK.
The intelligence agencies are to assess the scope of the Islamist group's operations in the UK after concerns were raised that it is running its international operations from a flat in Cricklewood, north London.
The internal Government review aims to establish the "philosophy and activities" of the group, which came to prominence for its role in the Arab Spring and the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak in Egypt.
Speaking at a press conference at Number 10, Mr Cameron said: "We want to challenge the extremist narrative that some Islamist organisations have put out.

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe Rtx16e06-1-522x293
Brotherhood leader Mohammed Badie in court in Cairo last month

"What I think is important about the Muslim Brotherhood is that we understand what this organisation is, what it stands for, what its beliefs are in terms of the path of extremism and violent extremism, what its connections are with other groups, what its presence is here in the United Kingdom. Our policies should be informed by a complete picture of that knowledge."
Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi was removed from power by the Egyptian army in July and last month 529 members of the group were sentenced to death.
Egypt and Saudi Arabia now claim London has become a central point for meetings where the group can plan its international strategy, according to a report in The Times newspaper.

PM Orders Muslim Brotherhood UK 'Terror' Probe Rtx17u3m-2-522x293
Muslim Brotherhood members clash with the army last week

Cairo claims the Brotherhood has been behind a campaign of violence in Egypt, including a bus bomb in February, which killed three South Korean tourists.
Mr Cameron is thought to have come under pressure from Gulf states to take action, including potentially adding the group to the list of organisations banned in the UK because of their links to terrorism.
However, The Times quoted officials as saying it was "possible but unlikely" it would join the proscribed list.
The review is being led by Sir John Jenkins, Britain's ambassador to Saudi Arabia, which has also declared the Brotherhood a terrorist organisation.
The United Arab Emirates, Russia, Syria and Egypt also consider the group a terrorist organisation.
A Downing Street spokeswoman said: "The Prime Minister has commissioned an internal Government review into the philosophy and activities of the Muslim Brotherhood and the Government's policy towards the organisation."
Mr Morsi and many other senior figures are imprisoned facing trial in Egypt following the military takeover, which resulted in protests that killed at least 1,000 people.
The Brotherhood, which was founded in Egypt in 1928 and runs on a political and charitable model, maintains it is peaceful. However, some fear that fringe elements could have links with violent extremists.
A spokesman told The Times it would co-operate with the Government review.
Asked about the investigation on his LBC radio programme, London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "I'm afraid I can't give you any details about that investigation and nor would you expect me to.
"As it happens, I don't know very much about this particular case, but even if I did know, it would not be something I would be commenting on.
"When you look back at 7/7 and some of the challenges - the airline plot, some of the challenges that the counter-terrorist units have had to face - I think it is amazing that, touch wood, they have done an absolutely unbelievable job."
Sabre
Sabre
CPD Moderator
CPD Moderator

http://www.sabresecurity.info

Back to top Go down