Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.
Close Protection Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Princess Diana's former bodyguard jailed for abusing child

Go down

Princess Diana's former bodyguard jailed for abusing child Empty Princess Diana's former bodyguard jailed for abusing child

Post by Sabre 13/7/2014, 16:36

A FORMER Royal Marine who worked as a bodyguard for Princess Diana on her honeymoon has been jailed for abusing a child.

Princess Diana's former bodyguard jailed for abusing child SN_STEPHEN_SALMON_1-488288

Stephen Salmon was jailed for four years [SOLENT]

Ex Petty Officer Stephen Salmon, 66, subjected his victim to a catalogue of abuse in the 1970s - when she was between seven and 12-years-old.

He has now been sentenced to four years in prison for indecently assaulting a former family friend identified only as Natalie, 43, who has waived her right to anonymity.

Salmon served in the Royal Marines and was a bodyguard on the Royal Yacht Britannia for the newlywed Prince and Princess of Wales' honeymoon.

He lived next door to Natalie and her family in Portsmouth, Hampshire, and forged a close friendship with them while he served in the naval city.

But he repeatedly abused his position of trust, subjecting the young girl to a series of indecent assaults.

It was not until decades later that Natalie found the courage to tell her family and call the police - but by then Salmon had moved to Spain with his wife.

He was arrested on his return to the UK in 2012.

A jury convicted Salmon of four counts of indecent assault and two of indecency with a child following a trial at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Judge Richard Price condemned the catalogue of abuse as "disgusting" and said Salmon's actions involved "the most dreadful breach of trust".

He jailed him for four years, banned him from working with children and told him that he must sign the Sex Offenders' Register for life.

Princess Diana's former bodyguard jailed for abusing child 180039

Salmon worked as a bodyguard for Princess Diana and Charles during their honeymoon [REUTERS]

After giving evidence during the trial, victim Natalie said: "Facing him [Salmon] in court brought it all back.

"I fell apart at the beginning - it was horrible. I looked at him and he had a really smug look on his face."

Speaking of his conviction and sentence, she said: "I cried and went through all sorts of emotions.

"I just want him away from children and I was really, really happy that someone believed me after all this time.

"But it's not enough for what he's put me through.

"I can't undo it and I always think about it. I'm insecure and I don't trust men.

"I've been in physically abusive relationships, mentally abusive relationships and I've never had children - probably because I think it's going to happen to them."

Natalie has waived her right to anonymity in the hope she can encourage other victims of abuse not to and suffer in silence.

She said: "Have the courage to come forward - you need to tell someone, whether it's parents or teachers.

"Don't block it out. Don't do what I did and block it for all those years."

Natalie's family has backed her calls for victims of sexual abuse to come forward - regardless of when the attacks happened.

Princess Diana spent 16 days on board the Royal Yacht Britannia as part of her honeymoon to Prince Charles in 1981.

The couple boarded the yacht in Gibraltar and enjoyed a tour around the Mediterranean looked after by a 307 strong crew.

On the last night at sea, the crew, including the Band of the Royal Marines of which Salmon was a member, held a farewell cabaret for the honeymooners.
Sabre
Sabre
CPD Moderator
CPD Moderator

http://www.sabresecurity.info

Back to top Go down