Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.
Close Protection Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to learn a new language.

3 posters

Go down

Want to learn a new language. Empty Want to learn a new language.

Post by Rikard 23/10/2014, 16:11

Dear all.

I consider learning a new language in addition to Swedish, English and French, problem is I hesitate on which one to start with and I would be grateful for all advice and ideas.
The languages I’m thinking of is German, Spanish and Portuguese. I have excluded Russian and Arabic which I originally considered because I do want to stick with the alphabet I know.
German would probably be the easiest of said languages to learn from the base I have and I believe it would give me advantages workwise.
Spanish or Portuguese? Both are after all I understand very similar but how similar are they? If I learn one of them good, would I after some practice get the other “free”?
Workwise I see quit often vacancy specs where Portuguese is either a requirement or meriting, the Olympics 2016 will be in Brazil, which I presume would make Portuguese speakers more sought after. Spanish I see from time to time requirements for but not as often as Portuguese, still Spanish is the one of said languages that have most native speakers and list 4th worldwide, which is not unimportant as I do not see any point in learning a language that no one speaks.

Ladies and gentlemen, what is your point of view?

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Want to learn a new language. Empty Re: Want to learn a new language.

Post by Woedendstier 28/10/2014, 19:48

If you don't mind I'll reply here in the open so our members can benefit from the discussion.

It is about what kind of jobs you want.

GERMAN - yes there were several job offers for CPOs in the last months. But this is marginal. Unless you have to protect children, your German clients will always speak English and be keen to do so. Ask yourself, is it worth investing 2 - 3 years of your life based on several job offers ? Let's face it, 2 - 3 years is the proper time it takes to speak a language at professional level. No shortcuts !!
I speak German myself and it never helped finding a job. I know two people who really did CP for German clients or in Germany, only one of them was a fluent speaker, the other was Afrikaner.

SPANISH - can definitely help, but the market is a lot more "underground". Bear in mind, in South America, Local Nationals are much better trained, educated and more hard-working than the LN's we're used to in Africa and Middle East. Only critical positions go to expats, i.e. management positions. CP gigs, even permanent ones exist though, but require a huge network and the usual amount of luck.

PORTUGUESE - may be your best option. In Brasil, the same rules apply as elsewhere in South America, but the market is a lot bigger, Brasil is almost an economic superpower, so more opportunities. There is a strong French presence in the country, even in the security industry (Velours anyone ?). Plus, let me guess, your legion background put you in touch with a lot of "bande de travelos de Brésilos", some of them had background in CP, some others went back home in the security business. From the top of my head in your Regiment : Renato M, and CPL S. , the krav maga instructor. I guess that helps.
Moreover, speaking Portuguese gives you a back-up plan for other important markets : Angola, full of oil&gas and diamond industries (with proper cool looking armed CP, but usually done by Portuguese ex-SF). Mozambique, where there is some MARSEC as well. Or Guinea-Bissau, also very active with oil&gas.

Now ironically.... if it is only pure CP you are after, Arabic and Russian were the two most promising....
Woedendstier
Woedendstier
CPD Moderator
CPD Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 28/10/2014, 23:02

Many thanks for the answer Woedendstier!

I’m thinking like this: Most high net worth individual’s that have afford, need and/or want personal protection that we see here in France are either Russian or Arabic, but if a Russian or Arabic principal wants to have a conversation with his PPO in his native tongue I believe he or she have no problem in finding a PPO who speaks either language as their native tongue. The few I have come across speak good English and according to what I hear (myth?) in general they prefer CPO’s that do not speak their language because they want to keep their privacy not risking having a CPO listening in to their private conversations.

I want to learn another language more for when the principal is traveling, because I believe it is then it will make things easier. A reason why I abandoned Russian which I considered from beginning is that I been told that most, not all but most European security do handover to Russian security when principal is travelling there, because getting a working visa for Russia (tourist visa for Russia not advisable I been told) is not easy and the threat level in Russia is something completely different from western europe, an unarmed PPO in Russia is not to any help “if the shit hits the fan” and Russian law makes it impossible for foreigners to “carry”. For pleasure trips to other destinations I have hard to imagine a jet-set resort where not most people speak some English.

Pure business trips, modern means of communication have reduced them a lot but I imagine they go to where money is made and trade is done, all over Europe you come a long way with English, but Germany have a strong economy and I have met many Germans who does not speak English. Speaking German can help in Germany Shocked  Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria and Yes, Poland and Czech as well. Brazil as you say is almost economic superpower and there are money changing hands over there with a lot of foreign interest.

Now I hesitate even more, Arabic got back in the game and German and Portuguese is still there. I start leaning more and more towards Portuguese, much because as you say I would get along in nearly all Africa if I spoke it as well, and somewhat because “the best off two worlds” always have made me curious Very Happy

Anyone else who got something to say on the subject?  

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 17/11/2014, 14:52

In case of someone is waiting with excitement on the limit to madness for an update……

My choice is Portuguese, I have finally decided the language. My next step is to choose method, so far I have started to take all online lesson that is for free on the internet, when the Visa & MasterCard symbol comes up I try another free version. When I feel I don’t get any further I will choose the one that seamed best.

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted-Pencry 24/11/2014, 09:21

Why Portuguese Rikard?
Are you planning on going to Brazil? Angola? Portugal?
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry
CPD Founder & Administrator
CPD Founder & Administrator

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ted-pancri/5a/170/7a4

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 24/11/2014, 11:28

I want to learn an extra language not out of an urgent need but more as a way to keep the brain going, and I thought an extra language can always come in handy.

Actually there was no real logic in why I choose Portuguese, I hesitated to long between German and Portuguese and in the end more or less picked either one just to get started, I convinced myself with arguments such as: Olympic 2016 is in Brazil and it would be nice going, also I try to find job in Africa and I hope speaking Portuguese might give me an advantage one day.

In the posts above my reasoning for and against different languages can be read.

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down