Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Close Protection Domain
Welcome to Close Protection Domain,

Please Log In or Register.
Security is our main priority and you will not be able to view posts or navigate on CPD until you register or Log In.
Close Protection Domain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surveillance Photography

4 posters

Go down

Surveillance Photography Empty Surveillance Photography

Post by Ted-Pencry 5/12/2012, 20:38

What camera/lenses do you recommend?
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry
CPD Founder & Administrator

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ted-pancri/5a/170/7a4

Back to top Go down

Surveillance Photography Empty Re: Surveillance Photography

Post by Rikard 5/10/2014, 19:53

Without ever worked a day in Surveillance but on basis of being Surveillance trained amateur photograph, I would like to recommend my Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD lens http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2012/1106_2.html which I believe would be one of the most versatile Surveillance lenses on the market today considering what you get for the money.
I invested in this lens after having some good income from RST and Mar sec work, mostly because photography is a hobby of mine, and I do believe it would be more than suitable for Surveillance work, especially whit a 2x Teleconverter such as this http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/20x-teleconverter-ex-apo-dg
I believe it would be a suitable lens because the focal length 70-200mm gives opportunity to take sharp enough photos to identify a person from a few meters distance up to 3-400m.  The large aperture of F/2.8 is about the largest aperture before the price of the lens goes up 4 times. A F/2.8 permit using a faster shutter speed in equal light conditions compared to a lens with lesser aperture, and about just what’s needed for slowly moving targets when dusk approach. The Image Stabilizer (VC on Tamron lenses) permit using a 2-3 stops faster shutter speed for a given aperture which permit’s me to shoot handheld at 200mm focal length within reasonable lights.
I choose the Tamron’s lens in front of Canon’s corresponding lens (I’m using a Canon 600d SLR) because after reading a few reviews made by photo enthusiasts I could not find reason enough to motivate the double price of the Canon lens for my use. I choose the Tamron in front of the similar priced Sigma lens on basis of Tamron claims their lenses being weather proofed, which Sigma do not claim. And so far I have not regretted my choice.

I been when circumstances permit using a 2x Teleconverter from Sigma which doubles the focal length and during good conditions gives really good pictures. It feels however that I should mention that when I use the Tamron lens with the Sigma teleconverter I get very “milky” images when photographing with the sun in my 10-2 arc of vision, and I get slower than the 2 stops slower that Sigma says. Neither the autofocus nor the image stabilizer works correctly whit the teleconverter mounted which I expected before I bought them so I don't se it as a big deal.

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Baughan 6/10/2014, 10:08

The work I've been asked to do so far has required video footage from which I get screen shots for any stills. 
I use a variety of DVR's, covering front view, rear view from my van, hand held and covert, some with a fantastic zoom, nights shots, tape and SD cards etc etc, but I'm yet to move into the stills side of things as a rule, but I do find it interesting.

Jason Baughan
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rikard 6/10/2014, 10:35

Hi Jason, I hear from many sources that video footage is what is most in demand on the SV circuit, and I do understand why and can clearly see advantages of using a good Camcorder and if stills is needed taking screen shots from the recorded material.

Any chance you (or anyone else) could give some recommendations on good Digital Video recording equipment?
What’s the things to think about when buying?
Any must have details/functions? 

Rikard
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Baughan 6/10/2014, 12:38

Hi Rik, its a very deep subject believe it or not and I know some very knowledgeable operators that I take advise from, and some still use a good Nikon DSLR on standby also.
For me its now digital but tape standby also, it must have infinity focus, able to use monitor and remote control lead, so you can buy leads that fit both. some form of night shot, a good optical zoom and of course HD, the models best for this are the Sony digitals and Mini dvr's, the model will depend on you and finally some conversion software to bring up date/time details, I do have a friend who runs basic short courses on evidence gathering with particular attention on good footage, kit and editing, but its up North where they operate the courses. hope this helps a wee bit.

Jason Baughan
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by isstraining 5/7/2015, 12:27

Camera: Canon 7D Mk2 - it's 'THE' camera currently for surveillance due to its fast and intelligent focusing taking shots at 10 frames per second.

Lens: Canon 70-200, F4 IS (Stabilised to give you 4 stops) and if used on the above gives you a maximum focal length of 324mm due to the 'crop' sensor'

Peter @ ISS
isstraining
isstraining
CPD Consultant/VIP
CPD Consultant/VIP

http://www.intelsecurity.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Baughan 5/7/2015, 12:50

For stills, I have gone for a good quality bridge camera giving me good, steady, long range shots even in low light.

Jason Baughan
Verified CPD Member
Verified CPD Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted-Pencry 11/11/2015, 09:25

isstraining wrote:Camera: Canon 7D Mk2 - it's 'THE' camera currently for surveillance due to its fast and intelligent focusing taking shots at 10 frames per second.

Lens: Canon 70-200, F4 IS (Stabilised to give you 4 stops) and if used on the above gives you a maximum focal length of 324mm due to the 'crop' sensor'

Peter @ ISS

What would be the full price of the Camera combined with the lens?
Any idea where its best to buy from?
Ted-Pencry
Ted-Pencry

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/ted-pancri/5a/170/7a4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down